Turkish Journal of Gastroenterology
Poster

Retrospective Investigation of De novo hepatitis B infection in recipients after liver transplantation by anti-HBc positive donors

1.

Inonu University Medical Faculty, Department of Gastroenterology, Liver Transplant Institute, Malatya, Turkey

2.

Inonu University Medical Faculty, Department of Internal Medicine, Liver Transplant Institute, Malatya, Turkey

3.

Inonu University Medical Faculty, Department of General Surgery, Liver Transplant Institute, Malatya, Turkey

Turk J Gastroenterol 2019; 30: Supplement 20-20
DOI: 10.5152/tjg.2019.10
Read: 1508 Downloads: 428 Published: 25 July 2019

Abstract

 

INTRODUCTION: The aim of our study was to retrospectively investigate the development of de novo Hepatitis B infection in recipients after liver transplantation by anti-HBc positive donors with non-hepatitis B indication.

METHODS: Data of 46 patients who had liver transplantation with non-hepatitis B indication from anti-HBc positive donors in İnönü University Turgut Özal Medical Center Gastroenterology Department between January 2007 and December 2018 were examined retrospectively. 

RESULTS: Of the 46 patients who underwent liver transplantation from anti-HBc positive donors to HBsAg negative patients, 8 (17.4%) patients were given prophylactic antiviral after liver transplantation, and the remaining 38 (82.6%) patients were followed up without prophylactic antiviral treatment. While de novo hepatitis B infection was not developed in any patient who received prophylactic antiviral treatment (0%), it occurred in 11 of 38 patients (28.9%) without prophylactic antiviral treatment. In patients without prophylactic antiviral treatment; the frequency of de novo hepatitis B infection in patients with anti-HBc and anti-HBs negativity (63.6%) was significantly higher than patients with anti-HBc and / or anti-HBs positivity (14.8%).

CONCLUSION: Our results suggest that prophylactic antiviral therapy and hepatitis B immunity in recipients after liver transplantation from anti-HBc positive donors significantly prevent the development of de novo hepatitis B infection.

Files
EISSN 2148-5607