Turkish Journal of Gastroenterology
Original Article

Endoscopic treatment of biliary complications following liver transplantation

1.

Department of Gastroenterology, Ankara University Faculty of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey

2.

Department of Surgery, Ankara University Faculty of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey

3.

Ankara Üniversitesi Tıp Fakültesi Gastroenteroloji Bilim Dalı, Ankara

Turk J Gastroenterol 2014; 25: 156-161
DOI: 10.5152/tjg.2014.4055
Read: 115 Downloads: 17 Published: 25 July 2019

Abstract

Background/Aims: The aims of the present study were to review biliary complications following liver transplantation in a single-center experience, to identify the factors associated with biliary complications, and to evaluate the success of endoscopic and percutaneous treatment in such patients.

 

Materials and Methods: Between January 1994 and June 2010, a total of 176 patients with liver disease underwent liver transplantation; 119 recipients were included in this retrospective analysis. Median posttransplant follow-up period was 49 months.

 

Results: Mean age was 43.0±12.7 years. Living donor liver transplantation (LDLT) and deceased-donor liver transplantation (DDLT) were performed in 71 and 48 patients, respectively. Duct-to-duct anastomosis and Roux-en-Y hepaticojejunostomy were performed in 68 and 51 patients, respectively.

The overall incidence of posttransplant biliary complications was 36%; anastomotic biliary strictures were the most common biliary complications (42%), followed by biliary leakage (28%). On logistic regression analysis, duct-duct anastomosis was the only risk factor associated with the development of biliary complications (Odds ratio (OR), 3.346; p=0.005). Endoscopic and percutaneous treatment was successful in the majority of patients (81%), and the remaining 19% recipients underwent surgery for biliary repair. Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) guided drainage and balloon dilatation with stent placement were the most common treatment modalities.

 

 

Conclusion: Biliary complications were most frequent after liver transplantation; biliary strictures were the most commonly seen. The use of duct-to-duct anastomosis for biliary reconstruction is a risk factor for the development of biliary complications. Endoscopic and percutaneous treatment was successful in the majority of these patients.

Files
EISSN 2148-5607